I haven't blogged since August 21 and it's now September 8. It's been an amazing three weeks. The best news is that I have worked hard to lose seven pounds!! Already I'm feeling like a new person. These past few weeks I've gone through an important detox process, kind of like an addict in rehab. I was certainly out of sorts, feeling run down even after exercise, and getting a little discouraged. Now I feel that in going through that process I was purging my body of toxins, namely, sugar.
But more importantly, I've gone through a dramatic change in the last week. Perhaps I was divinely guided to watch this documentary that has made a big impact on my thinking about food. The name of the film is Forks Over Knives and I hope everyone who reads this will make an effort to see it. It's out of theaters now, but available from the website by the same name or on On Demand. The film focuses on doctors/scientists from the Cleveland Clinic and elsewhere who, for years have researched the effects of a western diet here in the US and around the world, and it's impact on our health. Based on their solid research and results working with people who were virtually at death's door, struggling with everything from heart disease to diabetes, these doctors are advocating a whole foods, plant-based diet. Their patients gave up all meat and dairy and followed a strict vegan diet. They reversed their heart disease, lost weight, became more fit, and were restored to health. The film is stunning and truly eye-opening. Let me be the first to say that I have had some judgement regarding vegans. My thinking before viewing the film was -- mmm pretty extreme, I could give up my chicken and fish, but never dairy.
So I started reading everything I could get my hands on. Kathy Freston's book, Veganist, is excellent, and she talks a good deal about the film and Drs. Colin Campbell and Caldwell Esselstyn. I've been eating a vegan diet now for about eight days and already the results are startling.
* My energy is back
* The bloat in my stomach is gone
* My mood has stabilized, depression has lifted
* Weight feels like it is melting off
* I wake up early, 5 am, feeling so refreshed
* I am satisfied at every meal, and never feel hungry or experience cravings
* I'm experiencing more mental clarity, no more foggy thinking
* I'm more social
* My drive and motivation is returning
* Digestion is so much better
* My skin is more radiant, no more puffy eyes
* I've found my joie de vivre
I feel like I've hit the jackpot of health and wellness! This week I will write about a few vegan recipes I've created, as well as the great classes at The Village I've been enjoying.
Vibrantly Yours in Health & Wellness,
Sharon
No comments:
Post a Comment